1. Birchbox- you pay $10 each month and you get this sweet little box full of all the latest beauty products and best sellers- I look forward to this every month!
2. Tango- new app I downloaded after freaking out about it with my co-workers. It's like Skype for your phone BUT unlike Facetime for iPhone, it is 3G and not wireless so you can use it everywhere- Take that iPhone!
3. Tattly- REALLY awesome temporary tattoos made by graphic artists. I think they are for people considering that tattoo but can't it be for people too scared to get one and want one for one night, too!?
Looks like I've gotten way too many for my own good but.. Christmas Trees were meant for my Christmas card send to my girls (but, I sent postcards) and Tattly also gives you free ones when you order any- so that's a big plus!!
Sunday evening and I'm just about to get ready for bed. I didn't forget about you, little blog. I've been decorating my new room project and gotta say.. I REALLY love it!! Putting some finishing touches on it but will post pictures real soon. However, they won't be as entertaining as these..
Last night we threw Taylor a birthday party. Remember my cupcake baking?? Well, turns out, I didn't have milk sooo the whole baking funfetti cupcakes from scratch thing.. just wasn't meant to be. BUT the box kind turned out super good and everyone liked them!
Full from dinner and ready to get the party started, we headed to Main Street in North Myrtle Beach. Big crowd met us there for the birthday party but as soon as we saw this.. we couldn't resist.
PHOTO HUNT!! I'm obsessed- we used to play this in the bars a lot in college! It was always scandalous ladies but just yesterday, we found scandalous men!!! hahahahahahaha omg- only NMB. We got a high score and decided to put one of our friends names on it to pass the blame. Oops! lol, it makes it even better that his family owns the store basically next door, too! Thunder from Down under.. appropriate.
On to round 2 where our little birthday girl got ICED! Yes- me and my group of friends STILL love this game. It just never gets old.
We love you Tay! Happy Birthday!
Good Morning Friends!
I've got a very productive day ahead of me. The weather in Myrtle Beach said it was going to be 70 today (yes, in January) but what-in-the-world.. its so grey and sad looking out. So, I've planned some indoor activities but I might crack a window!
Got Keurig going for energy because I'm about to finish my painting project. Well, my second coat b/c white just doesn't cover up orange on the first go around. – lesson learned- I've been flipping through the new Rue Magazine for some inspiration, they have a fantastic doll house spread going this month!
Today, we are having a Birthday outing for my friend Taylor. I volunteered to make her cupcake/cake/dessert of any kind and guess what she wanted!? Funfetti! Which is absolutely amazing in every way but not a challenge b/c its a box. of already mixed ingredients. wah wah. It's like requesting Choco Tacos for dessert (Aaron.) SOOO I'm thinking of making them from SCRATCH! what do you think?? I think I could figure it out.
Wish me luck!
In my quest to find great baking recipies, I have come across great ones… and come across bad ones. I like to find a balance between not too sweet and a good cakey consistency. I like rich desserts but they don't have a lasting effect on me. I want one bite, then done. I want people to try mine and want one more!
This past weekend, I baked the most beautiful cake from The Cupcake Diaries (DC Cupcakes book). It was a Chocolate Layer Cake with Strawberry Buttercream and it's everything I like so- I was pretty pumped for this project. Let me just say, not only did I fail miserably.. it was also the ugliest cake I've ever made!!!!
I'm not that of an unfortunate baker.. just look at these:
The weekend cake baking turned out tasting pretty good but it just wasn't pretty. Here's the recipe I used. See what you think I could have done differently to bake up prettier..
the ugly CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE with STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
16 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temp)
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs (room temp)
2 cups whole milk (room temp)
2 1/2 teaspoons Madagascar pure vanilla extract
1 cup cocoa powder (sifted)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 9-inch cake pans
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside
- In stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar on medium for 3-5 minutes until light/fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time, mix slowly after each to incorporate well
- Combine milk and vanilla in large liquid measuring cup
- Combine on low in stand mixer in this order: 1/3 dry ingredient, 1/3 milk/vanilla, 1/3 dry ingredient, 1/3 milk/vanilla, 1/3 dry ingredient, 1/3 milk/vanilla (end on milk)
- Add in cocoa powder until just incorporated
- Pour 1/2 batter in one pan, 1/2 batter in the other and bake 30-35 minutes, start checking at 30
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting:
32 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temp)
8 cups confectioner's sugar (sifted)
2 teaspoons whole milk
2 teaspoons Madagascar vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup strawberries (diced)
12 whole strawberries for garnish
- Place all ingredients in mixer (except strawberries) and whip for 5 minutes until light and fluffy
- Use a spatula and fold in strawberries
- Ice cake
This is what I want you to see:
This is what actually happened- COMPLETE avalanche as soon as it was put together. booooo
All in all, pretty tasty but icing was a little too sweet for me.. i mean, good gracious- 8 cups of confectioner's sugar!?! Kinda makes your teeth grimy. I'm wondering if these DC chicks didn't totally give out their correct recipies b/c my cupcakes baked up (gasp) ugly, too! I can place the blame on them for my bad baking, right!? I'm going to try this one again with alterations in the future because I really like chocolate and strawberries!
haha, hope this got you inspired HAHA.